Monday 24 September 2012

Here's looking at you


I suddenly had this random idea that I wanted to put fake eyelashes on my nails for some reason, so I came up with this decidedly creepy manicure. It did look pretty spectacular, and obviously more 3D than I can really get across in the image! I'll take you through the steps to create this one.

Ingredients


Basecoat and topcoat


A skin coloured nail polish. I used Bourjois So Laque Ultra Shine in Beige Glamour 27.


An eye colour nail polish. I used Bourjois So Laque Bubble Chic Collection in Bleu Fabuleux 60.


A nail polish that is a lighter version of the eye colour, for highlighting. I used Bourjois So Laque Paris Show Time Collection in Bleu Model 44.


Black polish. I used 17 Fast Finish in Nightshade.


White polish. I used 17 Lasting Fix in Mini Skirt.


Some false eyelashes.


Step 1: Skin coloured nails with one white

After a base coat, paint all of your nails with the skin colour except the one that you want to be the eye, which you paint white. The while is likely to need at least three coats. If anyone knows of a white polish that is more opaque, please add it to the comments because it was driving me a little crazy!



Step 2: Add a circle for the iris

(Yes I did have to Google that "iris" was the correct term!). I just used a paintbrush for this.


Step 3: Add highlighting, and a pupil

With the lighter eye colour polish and a striping brush, I made some streaks out from the centre of the iris to make it look a little more realistic. Then with black polish and a giant dotting tool, I added the pupil. Finally, a tiny dot of white polish adds highlighting to the pupil.


Step 4: Add some eyelids

Paint on some eyelids using the skin colour and a striping brush.


Finally: Add the eyelashes!

Before you attach them to the nail, trim the false eyelashes to the width of your nail. Depending on the eyelashes you have, you may want to trim the actual lashes so that they don't look to long on your nail. I did this with nail scissors - the trick is to make little cuts so that they are not all the same length and look a bit more natural. 
To attach them, paint the topcoat onto the edge of the lash and carefully place it along the nail. Try to place it so that there is a little of the skin colour visible. You may want to use something like a cocktail stick to nudge it exactly into place.




No comments:

Post a Comment